Cártama cozy town close to and adjacent to the City of Malaga, full of traditions and culture. On the way to the hermitage and the Castle you can feel the legacy of legends.
Where is Cártama located
Cártama is located 19km from Malaga capital with a population of 26.259 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 105,10km square.
The origin of the name Cártama
The Phoenicians called this region “Cartha” which means hidden or hidden place.
Denonym of people of Cártama
The inhabitants are called “Cartameño or Cartameña”.
Where to park in Cártama
We did not find any difficulty in parking. Also at the entrance to the town there is a planada where you can park easily.
Monuments and places of interest in Cártama
- Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios: The hermitage is located at the foot of the castle, it was built after the legendary apparitions of the Virgin and with the growth of the dedication of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios after the epidemic of 1579. There are two access roads, the first is the traditional path more difficult than starting in the town, and the second most modern that has an easier access eliminating barriers to people with some difficulty. the hermitage is composed of a single nave, the entrance built of reddish brick with the inscription with the name of the Virgin. The climb serves as a viewpoint over neighboring towns such as Álora, Pizarra, Almogía and Alozaina.
- Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios
- Museum of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios
- Chapel of Sierra Gabrilgalia
- Castle of Cártama
- Church of San Pedro: After the Reconquest by the Catholic Monarchs, a church was built in 1502 in the main square on top of the old mosque. At the moment it is consecrated in dedication to San Pedro de Apóstol but in the past it went to Santa María de la Encarnación. In the year 1505 the work was completed, the temple formed by 3 naves being the construction in a neo-Mudejar style with Renaissance, Gothic and Mudejar elements. Inside, in its main chapel, the main image of the Virgen de los Remedios, patron saint of Cártama, is located. During the restorations in 2005, paintings were discovered that adorn the tower since the beginning of the 19th century.
- Iron Bridge over the Guadalhorce River
- Roman Bridge and Aqueduct
- Fountain Source Pilar Alto