Ardales, a white town with its castle, old town, caves, dam, el chorro and el Caminito del Rey, an authentic wonder.
Where is Ardales located
Ardales is located 54km from Malaga capital with a population of 2500 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 106,5km square.
Origin of the name Ardales
There are two theories about origin:
- Of arab origin that derives from “garden of Allah or land of God“.
- Of pre-Roman origin that comes from the word “harda” which means squirrel, possibly this rodent lived abundantly in the pine forests of the area.
Denonym of the people of Ardales
The inhabitants are called “ardaleño or ardaleña”.
Monuments and places of interes in Ardales
- Castle “De la Peña”
- Caminito del Rey
- Cave Doña Trinidad Ardales
- Church of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios
- Roman bridge de la Molina
- Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de Villaverde
- Hermitage of Encarnación
- Convent of capuchinos
- Castle Turón
- The Kings chair: King Alfonso XIII, on May 21, 1921, visited the region to inaugurate the three reservoirs in the area. In this place he signed the completion of the construction, which is why it is known as the “King’s Armchair”. The monument is made up of an armchair, a table and two benches.
- Resevoir Conde de Guadalhorce