Teba, the town embraced by the soul of the Scottish knight Sir James Douglas who died in battle at the foot of the Castle of the Star.
Where is Teba located
Teba is located 71km from Malaga capital with a population of 3.760 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 143km square.
Origin of the name of Teba
The name comes from the Castle that during the Muslim occupation was called “Hisn Atiba” or “Hisn Itaba”.
Denonym of the people of Teba
The inhabitants are called “tebeño or tebeña“.
Monuments and places of interest in Teba
- Castillo de la Estrella (Castle of the Star): Built in the 13th century by the Almohads with later extensions and modifications. With its walled area of 25,000 square meters, it was one of the largest castles in Malaga. The castle with its 18 towers was of great importance in the Guadalteba region to defend its population from invasions. Currently the tower houses the Museum-Interpretation Center “Una Crusade en el Guadalteba”.
- Museum Castillo de la Estrella: Museum housed in the Castle Tower. It is a space dedicated to the history of the fortress and the evolution of the reconquest of the area, but especially to the battle of Teba in 1330 where the Scottish knight Sir James Douglas died.
- Portico of the house of Eugenia de Montijo: Spouse of Napoleon III, Empress of France and Countess of Teba. The portico was part of the currently collapsed palace on Calle Grande that was the residence of the Counts of Teba. The style of the portico is proto-baroque from the 17th century. The cover was restored by the Municipal Workshop in 2007 and is currently located in the Plaza de la Constitución.
- Church of Santa Cruz Real: Built between 1699 and 1715 to replace the previous church that was located in the Castillo de la Estrella. The 8 columns of 8 meters of reddish marble that come from the quarries of Teba stand out in this temple.
- Municipal Museum of Teba: It is an archaeological museum inaugurated in 2000 that was the Ancient Archaeological Hall of Teba. In the mid-70s a room was created on a private initiative by collecting archaeological objects by a group of friends and neighbors of the town. Currently the collection has pieces and objects found in the cave of the doves from the Neolithic period, Roman objects and objects from the Iberian peoples.
- Teba Parish Museum
- Monument to Sir James Douglas
- Cave de las Palomas (Cave of the doves): It is located approximately 5km from Castillo de la Estrella. It is a cave of great archaeological importance, it is the most important in the area of the Tajo del Molino or Río de la Venta. In the cave they have found a large number of objects that belong to the Neolithic, now studies are investigating whether there was already a human presence in the Paleolithic. Currently the cave is closed to the public to carry out these investigations.
- Hermitage of the Rosary
- Hermitage of Carmen
- Hermitage of Nuestro Padre Jesús
- Hermitage of San Isidro Labrador