Villanueva del Rosario, a relatively modern town in the province with a beautiful environment of great ecological value.
Where is Villanueva del Rosario located
Villanueva del Rosario is located 47km from Malaga capital with a population of 3.356 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 44.6km square.
The origin of the name Villanueva del Rosario
In the 16th century the area began to repopulate depending on Archidona, back then it was called Puebla del Saucedo, when it became independent with its own town hall it was renamed Villanueva del Rosario, as the patron saint of the town.
Where to park in Villanueva del Rosario?
We have not observed mucho difficulties to park in the center of the town, nor near the ermita or viewpoints in the area.
Villanueva del Rosario monuments and places of interest
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Rosario: The original temple was built in 1760. During the Spanish Civil War most of the ornaments and images were destroyed, only the image of the Nazarene was saved. The current Virgen del Rosario and Virgen de los Dolores were acquired by popular demand in the years 1938 and 1948. In 1960 it was decided for unknown reasons to tear down the building to build a new temple.
- Hermitage of the Virgen del Rosario: Recently built to house the image of the Virgen del Rosario that is processed in the pilgrimage in August. It is a simple hermitage of Andalusian architecture. It is located near the source of the Cerezo River.
- The Old Fountain «Fuenteviea»: This old fountain has always supplied the population and livestock with mountain water for centuries. Formed by two pylons made by hand. People took water from this source for their houses, filling pitchers and taking them out the water, eroding the stone, the erosion produced by these actions is still observed. It is a meeting point in the and a starting point for many hiking trails.
- Alto Hondonero Viewpoint: A natural viewpoint located at the highest point of the Hondonero peak. From this viewpoint you can enjoy views of the entire town, part of Antequera and especially of the sunsets over the mountains.
- Espacio José Hernández: José Hernández received the 1981 National Prize for Fine Arts. This painter fell in love with the town and stayed to live in the town that makes him become the Favorite Son of the town. In the house of culture there is an exhibition that houses a collection of 20 engravings, bibliography, letters and work tools used by the painter.
- Source of the Cerezo River: 250 meters from the hermitage is the origin of El Chorro. It is located in an area with benches and tables in an area with ferns that gives great freshness in summer perfecto for a break and pic-nic.
- Plaza Andalucía: Also known as El Bacalao or La Linde. Formerly it was on the outskirts of the town, currently it divides the town between the old town and the modern part.
- Bird Observatory and Herpetofauna: On the way and near the Mirador Alto Hondonero. There is an observatory with views over the natural area to observe a large number of birds, including the golden eagle, european robin, mountain scribe, etc.
Where to eat and drink in Villanueva del Rosario
Café La Clave: Bar with rock music in the center of town with a very friendly owner. Perfect for a quick stop and rest to have a drink and some tapas at a good price.