Nerja with its beaches, caves, views, old town, charming squares … has all the elements of Malaga to be one of the most charming towns.
Where is Nerja located?
Nerja is located 58km from Malaga capital with a population of 21.095 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 85Km square.
Origin of the name Nerja
Coming from the Andalusian Arabic and Hispanic romance word Narixa, which means “Fountain of Abundant”.
Monuments and places of interest in Nerja
- Nerja Cave: Also known as the “Natural Cathedral of the Costa del Sol”. It is located in the town of Maro, Nerja district. The cave was discovered in 1959 by five young explorers. The cave has an area of 35,484m² and currently has 3 galleries and a dozen rooms. Cave paintings have been found in the cave, including seals that could be the first art in human history.
- Balcony of Europe: In 1885, King Alfonso XII visited the area after an earthquake. Observing the damage caused by the earthquake, he was amazed by the incredible views of the sea, and baptized the viewpoint as the Balcony of Europe. The name balcony will be because this is where the European continent ends and the next would be Africa. In the same viewpoint is a life-size sculpture of King Alfonso XII.
- Aqueduct of the Eagle: It is a civil structure built in the 19th century in order to transport water to the San Joaquin Sugar Factory in Maro near Nerja. The structure measures 40 meters in height formed by four floors of arches. The name comes from the fact that on top of the structure there is a double-headed eagle.
- Hermitage of Las Angustias
- Church of El Salvador: The temple was completed in 1697. This church is rich in art and religious images for its size. A peculiarity is that it is one of the few temples in the world that houses images of the three main archangels: Miguel, Gabriel and Raphael.
- Church of Maravillas
- San Antonio Abad sugar mill
- Nerja History Museum
- Church of San Miguel
- Boat of Chanquete: The boat La Dorada was used to record the youth series called “Verano Azul” in 1981 where young people have adventures with their friend Chanquete.
- Statue of Chanquete: In 2019 the Chanquete statue was erected looking out to sea where the “Verano Azul” series was recorded, a character played by the actor Antonio Ferrandis.