Marbella world famous for its luxury and its Puerto Banús, but without losing the historical charm of its old town.
Where is Marbella located
Marbella is located 62km from Malaga capital with a population of 143.386 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 116,82Km square.
Demonym of the people of Marbella
The inhabitants are called “marbellí“.
Monuments and places of interest in Marbella
- Marbella historic center
- Plaza de los Naranjos: Located in the center and old town of the town. It is characterized by being a typical Malaga square with Andalusian white houses. The square surrounded by historical buildings such as a hermitage, the town hall and the Corregidor’s house. In the center there is a Renaissance fountain surrounded by orange trees that gives the actual square its name. During the Middle Ages this space was used as a market. During its history the square has changed its name several times as: Public Square, the Cabildo, Del Generalísimo Franco, or the Constitution. Until the beginning of the 20th century there were no trees, in 1920 palm trees were planted but 40 orange trees were subsequently planted due to lack of shade.
- Town Hall
- Corregidor House: It is one of the most emblematic houses in the city and in the old town. It was built around the year 1552. The most curious thing about this building is the mixture of architectural elements and styles such as Gothic, Renaissance and Mudejar.
- Hermitage of Santiago: After the taking of the city of Marbella in 1485, the mosques were converted into places of Christian worship. In 1905 it became the church of the parish of the same name Santiago. Later it lost the condition of church reaching our days as a hermitage. Inside they house the images of the brotherhood of the Holy Christ of Love: Holy Mary of Clarity and Saint John the Evangelist.
- Salvador Dalí sculptures
- Hermitage of Santiago
- The church of Santa María de la Encarnación
- Roque House
- Remains of the defensive wall of Marbella
- Chapel of San Juan de Dios: Built in the first half of the 16th century by the Catholic Monarchs. The chapel belongs to the Hospital de la Misericordia or San Juan de Dios Hospital. It has a simple façade with a stone façade with a carved wooden door with the shields of King Carlos III and the order of San Juan de Dios. Inside, its ceiling stands out, which is a magnificent Mudejar-style coffered ceiling.
- Royal Hospital de la Misericordia
- Bazán Hospital
- Hermitage of Santo Cristo de la Vera Cruz
- Church of Santísimo Cristo del Calvario
- Parque del Calvario
- Lighthouse of Marbella
- Nueva Andalucía
- The Roman town of Río Verde
- Botanical Garden El Ángel
- San Pedro de Alcantara
- Early Christian basilica of Vega del Mar
- Roman baths of Las Bóvedas
- Cerro Colorao or Cerro del Verdearo
- Las Chapas