Guaro, a white village in the Sierra de las Nieves that enchants its visitors during the Moorish moon with the lighting of 25,000 candles.
Where is Guaro located
Guaro is located 50km from Malaga capital with a population of 2.260 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 22km square.
Origin of the name Guaro
The first settlement in the region dates from the Arab period and was known as Guaro el Viejo.
Demonym of the people of Guaro
The inhabitants are called “guareño or guareña“
Monuments and places to visit in Guaro
- Church of San Miguel de Arcángel: The temple was built in 1505 with major modifications in the seventeenth century, specifically in 1605 by Pedro Diaz de Palacios in this reform the roofs, flooring and a new sacristy were remodeled. During the Spanish Civil War in 1936 the church that was later rebuilt was destroyed. Inside, the images of San Miguel and the Immaculate Virgin, patrons of the town, are housed. On the facade of the church there is a niche with the image of San Miguel. The first mass was celebrated in the year 1514.
- The hermitage of the Cruz del Puerto: The hermitage is located half a kilometer from the town center. It is a sanctuary where every May 3th the residents of village go to the hermitage to make a procession from the town. The hermitage houses an image of the Cristo de Limpias, an image from the 18th century. The hermitage also works as a viewpoint over the village and the Sierra de las Nieves. This place was of great importance and of faith during the postwar period since desperate and hungry neighbors prayed in the chapel to “be able to eat that day”.
- The hermitage of San Isidro
- Fountain of San Isidro Labrador de Guaro: Important historical place and meeting point for the Guareños. This source obtained great importance for the cultivation and agriculture, since in this place the animals rest in the past. The locals drank water for household chores, for which they built some laundry rooms in the basement. Nobody knows who put or where the dedication to San Isidro comes from, but it is popularly known as such. Every May 15 the procession during the Pilgrimage of San Isidro always makes a traditional stop at the Fountain to let the water impregnate the spirit of celebration and faith.
- Al-Ándalus Cultural Center: It is a center located in the town center created in order to promote the traditions and history of the town. This building was retrofitted to create an Ethnographic Museum about olive oil with numerous machines and facilities related to oil production in the region. One of the most important pieces in the collection is a 12th century Arab oilpress which is one of the oldest in Andalusia. This building houses several rooms for temporary exhibitions, warehouses, a patio, and a tourist office.