Estepona captivates with its historic center, its squares, fabulous beaches and the decoration of plants along its traditional streets.
Where is Estepona located
Estepona is located 91km from Malaga capital with a population of 68.268 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 137,5km square.
Origin of the name Estepona
There are several theories:
- The name comes from the Arabic Estebbuna, which to this day is unknown what it means.
- The Phoenicians called this trade area Astaba, Astabbuna or Alexthebuna.
Demonym of the people of Estepona
The inhabitants are called “Esteponero or Esteponera”.
Monuments and places of interest in Estepona
- Lighthouse Punta Doncella: The original circular tower was built between the years 1861-1863 by the engineer Antonio Molina, the tower measured 8 meters and the span reached 12 nautical miles. To make the light more visible, the current tower was built in 1922 with an octagonal plan of carved stone, with the new tower of 22 meters the light reaches 18 nautical miles.
- Almenaras Tower
- Castle of San Luis
- Dólmenes de Corominas
- Villa Romana de Las Torres
- Clock Tower: Built in the 16th century, it was part of the Church of Los Remedios that was destroyed by the Earthquake in 1755 of which only the tower remained. The neoclassical salmon-colored bell tower gives a charm to the square that bears the same name, which contains a stage-musical venue where musical and cultural events are held.
- Park Selwo Aventura