Carratraca, with its Roman baths, creates a health tourism, adding fonda pepa that is a benchmark of Malaga gastronomy.
Where is Carratraca located
Carratraca is located 49km from Malaga capital with a population of 731 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 22,24km square.
The origin of the name Carratraca
The name of Carratraca comes from the Arabic “Carr-altrak” which means “cleaning of impurities“.
Gentilicio of Carratraca
The inhabitants are called “carratraqueño or carratraqueña“.
Monuments and places of interest in Carratraca
- Church of Nuestra Señora de la Salud
- Palace Doña Trinidad Grund
- Thermal Baths of Carratraca
- Plaza de Toros: One of the most peculiar bullrings in the province since it is excavated in the rock of the Sierra Blanquilla or Baños. The square was inaugurated in 1878 with a capacity of around 3000 people. Currently bullfights are held during the August Fair, and the venue hosts events such as the “Bewitching of the Moorish Moon” during the month of September. During Holy Week the Passion of Christ is represented with a hundred actors.
- Fountain Nuestra Señora de la Salud