Benalmádena town and coast, a perfect wedding between traditional and modern with a great offer of leisure, culture and Malaga tradition.
Where is Benalmádena located
Benalmádena is located 21km from Malaga capital with a population of 68.128 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 27,20km square.
Origin of the name Benalmádena
There are several theories:
- The most accepted is that it comes from the Arabic sound “Ibn al-ma´din” which means “Children of the mines” which would be signified by the multitude of iron and mineral mines found in the area.
- Maybe the original name of the village was “Bena-A La Ena” which means “Population between two springs”
- The town mentions a lineage that the prefix “Ben” is used in Arabic, therefore “Ben al-Madana” would mean “The lineage of Madana”.
Denonym of th people of Benalmádena
The inhabitants are called “Benalmadense”.
Monuments and places of interes in Benalmádena
- Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán: This temple was built in the 17th century, on another previous smaller temple. Built next to the old wall and therefore it can be considered the nucleus of the old town. It is a peculiar place of the town with viewpoints of the coast line next to the gardens of the wall.
- Castle El-Bil-Bil: Located at KM 227 of the N-340 road. The castle was built between 1927 and 1936, in a neo-Arab style. The purpose was to build a vacation home, but the owners never lived in it since the Spanish Civil War broke out in 1936. The second owners were from the United States and named the Castillo using their own names, Elsa (EL) and William (BIL) twice: Castillo El Bil Bil. Today it has become a cultural center.
- Colomares Castle
- Estupa Budista de la Iluminación
- La niña de Benalmádena: Bronze sculpture created by the sculptor Jaime Fernández Pimentel. It represents a 1.25 meter girl welcoming, offering brotherhood and friendship that Benalmádena offers to its visitors. The girl represents the revival of the local economy linked to tourism and its culture. In Brussels, the capital of Belgium, there is a replica of La Niña, as a twinning with Benalmádena.
- Museum Arqueológico y de Arte Precolombino
- Torre Quebrada
- Torre Bermeja
- Cuevas del Toro
- Selwo Marina
- Mariposario: The Benalmádena Butterfly Park is a space dedicated to this beautiful insect, and is the largest in Europe. More than 1500 butterflies await you in this Thai temple. During the visit, you will be able to learn and observe how butterflies are born, reproduce, and live. Butterflies fly freely around visitors, temple keepers will explain the butterfly cycle.
- Sea Life