Benalmádena town and coast, a perfect wedding between traditional and modern with a great offer of leisure, culture and Malaga tradition.
Where is Benalmádena located
Benalmádena is located 21km from Malaga capital with a population of 68.128 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 27,20km square.
Origin of the name Benalmádena
There are several theories:
- The most accepted is that it comes from the Arabic sound “Ibn al-ma´din” which means “Children of the mines” which would be signified by the multitude of iron and mineral mines found in the area.
- Maybe the original name of the village was “Bena-A La Ena” which means “Population between two springs”
- The town mentions a lineage that the prefix “Ben” is used in Arabic, therefore “Ben al-Madana” would mean “The lineage of Madana”.
Denonym of th people of Benalmádena
The inhabitants are called “Benalmadense”.
Monuments and places of interes in Benalmádena
- Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán: This temple was built in the 17th century, on another previous smaller temple. Built next to the old wall and therefore it can be considered the nucleus of the old town. It is a peculiar place of the town with viewpoints of the coast line next to the gardens of the wall.
- Colomares Castle: The castle was built between 1987 and 1994 by the doctor Esteban Martín Martín in honor of the discovery of America and Cristóbal Colon. The construction and building measuring 1500 square meters is a mixture of architectural styles such as Neo-Gothic, Neo-Byzantine, Neo-Mudejar and Neo-Romanesque.
- Estupa Budista de la Iluminación
- La niña de Benalmádena: Bronze sculpture created by the sculptor Jaime Fernández Pimentel. It represents a 1.25 meter girl welcoming, offering brotherhood and friendship that Benalmádena offers to its visitors. The girl represents the revival of the local economy linked to tourism and its culture. In Brussels, the capital of Belgium, there is a replica of La Niña, as a twinning with Benalmádena.
- Castle El-Bil-Bil: Located at KM 227 of the N-340 road. The castle was built between 1927 and 1936, in a neo-Arab style. The purpose was to build a vacation home, but the owners never lived in it since the Spanish Civil War broke out in 1936. The second owners were from the United States and named the Castillo using their own names, Elsa (EL) and William (BIL) twice: Castillo El Bil Bil. Today it has become a cultural center.
- Museum Arqueológico y de Arte Precolombino
- Torre Quebrada
- Bermeja Tower: Located in the marina, a lookout tower built in brick in the 15th century with a height of 10 meters and 3.33 meters in diameter. Formerly the tower was located on the coastline, but the expansion of the port in 1982 left the tower on the second line.
- Cuevas del Toro
Arroyo de la Miel
- Church of the Immaculate Conception: The patronage of the Virgin Immaculate Conception arrived in Arroyo de la Miel at the hands of Félix Solesio, founder of Arroyo de la Miel, who had great devotion to said Virgin. The temple has been renovated and modernized in recent decades.
Leisure in Benalmádena
- Tivoli: Amusement park founded in 1972 with dozens of attractions for all ages, shows and concerts. The enclosure can be accessed without making use of the attractions by paying a ticket. To access the tickets you can buy a bracelet. Currently the park is closed due to administrative matters.
- Selwo Marina
- Mariposario: The Benalmádena Butterfly Park is a space dedicated to this beautiful insect, and is the largest in Europe. More than 1500 butterflies await you in this Thai temple. During the visit, you will be able to learn and observe how butterflies are born, reproduce, and live. Butterflies fly freely around visitors, temple keepers will explain the butterfly cycle.
- Sea Life: An aquarium located in the marina of Benalmádena. inaugurated in 1995 as a shark protection center with more than 5000 specimens from all over the world. The building is divided into 9 rooms with 25 aquariums.
- Teleférico: It is the only cable car in the province of Malaga. It was inaugurated in the year 2000. The start of the route begins at Arroyo de la Miel and ends at the top of Mount Calamorro at an altitude of 700m. The journey is 10 minutes to the top, where you can go hiking, enjoy the views of the coast and Africa on clear days. They can also enjoy a raptor bird display.
- Minigolf Kiwi
Where to eat and drink in Benalmádena
Tapas Bar Grill La Terraza: Near El-Bil-Bil Beach. Great selection of typical Spanish and Malaga tapas where price, quality and quantity reign. We highlight the friendliness of the staff and the home-made and well-presented dishes.