Benahavís is a white village, that finds the perfect balance of traditional Malaga architecture, golf, gastronomy and tourism.
Where is Benahavís located
Benahavís is located 80km from Malaga capital with a population of 8.089 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 145km square.
The origin of the name Benahavís
The name comes from an ancient Berber tribe called “Banu Habis” who took possession of these lands. Another theory is that the word “Ben” means son in Arabic and “Havis” who was the lord who controlled the region and lived in the Castle of Montemayor.
Denonym of the people from Benahavís
The inhabitants are called “Benahavileño or Benahavileña”.
Monuments and places of interest in Benahavís
- Montemayor Castle: The 10th century ruin is located three kilometers from the main town. This fortification was of great importance during the Al-Andalus era due to its strategic value and broad vision of the coast and Africa. Currently part of its walls and its tower called Torre de la Reina are still preserved.
- Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario: The temple in the center of the town dates back to the 18th century. In its origins it was a school-chapel in order to educate the child population in the rural area. The building has been subjected to many reforms, the last one in 2005 at the hands of the Architect Don Antonio Herrezuelo.
- Leoneras Tower: Very well preserved watchtower. It is located in the Torre Leoneras Park.
- Torre Vigías de Benahavís: Part of a the Al-Andalus defensive system, there are a large number of towers around the town, such as the Daidín, Campanillas, Tramores, Estéril and Benamarin towers.
- Staircase “La Subida”: A work of art created in 2020. The old staircase has become a typical Andalusian ceramic mural with the image of the façade of the old town hall. Next to the heraldic shield of the Village.
- Calle Málaga: One of the main streets of the village full of restaurants and cozy terraces. It is a pedestrian street with a typical Andalusian Malaga atmosphere for its authentic little houses.