Benadalid white town in the Genal Valley has become a rural tourism area highlighting its peculiar castle.
Where is Benadalid located
Benadalid is located 139km from Malaga capital with a population of 215 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 20km square.
Origin of the name Benadalid
The origin of the name Benadalid comes from the Berber tribe in the 8th century called “Beni Al Jali” who settled in the region.
Denonym of the people of Benadalid
The inhabitants are called “benalizo or benaliza“.
Monuments and places of interest in Benadalid
- Castle of Benadalid: Located on the outskirts of the village with direct access from the A-369 road. The castle already appears in documentation dating from the year 1286 although there are studies that doubt its year of construction. It is a peculiar castle with a square plan with circular towers in three of its four corners. The construction of the walls are masonry worked with lime mortar. In 1572 the Castle passed into the hands of the Duke of Medinacelli, who gave the property to the City Council for use as a cemetery.
- Church of San Isidro: Located in the Bení Al Jali square. The temple was built in 1505, but has undergone multiple modifications since the 18th century until we know the church today. The temple is made up of three naves separated by semicircular arches supported by pillars. Inside it houses the most important image for the residents of the town, San Isidro, patron saint and protector of Benadalid. The cover was built in a baroque style and a side door in Mudejar style. The bell tower clock was donated by the town council in 1954.
- Fuente de la Ermita: The fountain is located at the entrance of the town near the Castle on the path of the old hermitage that was destroyed during the French invasion between 1808-1814, the artisan fountain stands out for its typical colorful tiles from Malaga.
- Plaza Nueva Square
History of Benadalid
The first news of the human presence in the area comes from the stories and testimonies of the Roman era that mention Celtic populations. The Roman presence in the town is reaffirmed due to the fact that there are sections of a Roman road that connected the cities of Arunda and Lacipo.
In the year 711 the Muslim invasion begins and the area was conquered by the Berber Zayde Ibn Kesadi. Between the 13th and 15th centuries it is administered under the rule of the Muslim Kingdom of Granada. Between the years 1492 and 1570 the Moors were expelled and mosques and public buildings began to be destroyed.
After the expulsion of the Muslims in 1494, the towns of Benalauría and Benadalid were handed over to the County of Feria. In 1505 the town’s church was built with San Isidro as its owner. In 1518 ownership of the town passed to the Lordship of the Marquis of Tarifa. In the year In 1572 the Castle passed into the hands of the Duke of Medinacelli, who handed it over to the City Council for use as a cemetery.
During the French invasion between the years 1808-1814 by the Napoleonic troops they destroyed the hermitage where a fountain called “source of the hermitage” has been built today.
Between 1931 and 1932 there was a division of the Benalauría-Benadalid community. During the Civil War most of the religious heritage of the town was destroyed.
Donde comer en Benadalid
- Restaurante Los Labraos: Located 500 meters from the village on the A-369 road. A typical Malaga country restaurant with easy parking. Menu and homemade portions for a good price-quality ratio. We emphasize the friendliness of the staff, the decoration with old agricultural tools and that the place is a closed space in case you go to eat with children.