Archidona, an ancient city located in the center of Andalusia that surprises with its architecture and with its historical-artistic buildings.
Where is Archidona located
Archidona is located 54km from Malaga capital with a population of 8.238 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 185,5km square.
Origin of the name Archidona
One hypothesis alleges that Archidona’s name comes from the Latin expression <Arx Domina or Arcis Domina>, which means “lady of the heights”.
Demonym of the people of Archidona
The inhabitants are called “archidonés” or “archidonésa”.
Curiosities about Archidona
The city was declared a Historic-Artistic site in 1980 by the Ministry of Culture.
Monuments and places of interest in Archidona
- Castle of Archidona: A fortification of Andalusian origin from the 9th century on top of the Sierra de Gracia. From the castle are preserved the Puerta del Sol, the Main Tower and the cistern. Remains of a mosque are preserved on the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace was built. The construction of the site has gone through the Carthaginians who built the walls, the remains that are preserved by the Arabs and the castle was rebuilt by the Nasrid in the 13th century.
- Hermitage of la Virgen de Gracia: Sanctuary built inside an old mosque from the 11th century, the only one preserved in the province of Malaga. Inside you can see the typical Andalusian horseshoe arches on Roman columns. The temple houses the patron saint of the town: La Virgen de Gracia.
- Hermitage of Santo Cristo: Hermitage built in the 18th century, inside it houses the image of Santo Cristo. Remodeled in 1997 along with its outdoor garden to create a rest area for the pilgrim. This point has become a mandatory stop on August the 15th during the pilgrimage to the Virgen de la Gracia, patron saint of Archidona.
- Ochavada Square: It is the main square of the town built in the baroque style between 1780 and 1786 designed by Francisco Astorga and Antonio González Sevilla. It is one of the main monuments in Malaga that represents the baroque urbanism in Andalusia. The square is built in an octagonal shape with Mudejar elements, each facade of the square has a different decoration. The square was built on the old main square, making it the center of the town, so much so that the town hall was installed. Archidona does not have a bullring, therefore, taking advantage of the structure of the square, they transform the square into a bullring for bullfighting performances and bullfights. The square has access through three doors with rich rococo ornamentation based on niches, pediments and rockeries.
- Convent of Santo Domingo
- Convent of las Mínimas:
- Church of Santa Ana
- Church of Victoria: The temple dates from the end of the 16th century and the beginning of the 17th century. The church belonged to the disappeared Convent of Frailes Minimimos de San Francisco de Paula that was founded and built on the hermitage of Santa Catalina in 1556. After the War of Independence the building was badly damaged and was completely demolished except for the church. Predominating the Baroque style, the church has three naves separated by cruciform pillars. Inside are the images of the brotherhoods of the Pollinica, the Sweet Name, El Huerto, and the group of Brotherhoods. Throughout its history the temple has been used as a hospital and barracks for Napoleonic troops during the War of Independence.
- Church of Jesús Nazareno:Located next to the Pious Schools. The church built in the 17th century with major renovations in the 18th century. The temple houses the image of the Nazarene, the patron saint of Archidona, the work of the Granada-born master Pablo de Rojas in the 16th century. It is currently the headquarters of the Brotherhood of Jesús Nazareno and María Santísima de la Sangre.
- Hermitage of San Antonio
- Municipal Museum of Archidona
- Cave of las Grajas
- Monument of Blas Infante: Blas Infante, considered the Father of the Andalusian Nation, studied his baccalaureate in this village between 1896 and 1899 at the Pious Schools of Archidona.
- Escuela Pías: The school was founded in the 18th century, the construction began in 1759 and ended in 1794. The school became one of the best known and most famous in Andalusia, even more so when the best-known student was Blas Infante, who studied his baccalaureate at this school between 1896 and 1900.
- Casa de Cilla o Antiguo Pósito: It is a 16th century building that was used as a barn for the Dukes of Osuna, the former lords of the town. It is a building built in a very Castilian style with artistic touches and ducal coats of arms as its façade in 18th century Baroque style, very abundant in the town. In the 80s it was restored and readapted to use the building as a town hall until 2010. On the façade there is a Sevillian tile artwork commemorating the centenary since the town was granted the title of “City”. Currently the town hall is located in Plaza Ochavada and La Cila was readapted as an Exhibition Hall and municipal museum including the inaugurated “Ricardo Conejo Ramillo” Municipal Public Library.
- Capilla del Sagrado Corazón de María (Salinas): In the middle of the 20th century this “School-Chapel” was built with the mission of educating the child population in rural areas. The bell had a dual function that was to call the faithful or at the beginning of classes.
Where to eat and drink in Archidona
Arxiduna: The restaurant is located in the ochavada square. The interior is notable for being excavated natural caves that were previously a Mozarabic church in the 9th century. The restaurant’s food is of high quality, highlighting the presentation and creativity of the dishes. If you want to have original dishes in a natural-historical environment with good service, Arxiduna will not disappoint you.
- Semana Santa
- Festivities of San Isidro
- The dog fair: The first edition has been organized since 1993 and will be held in the month of May. It is one of the most important national fairs in the world of dog and hunting. Activities such as exhibitions, conferences, parades, competitions and championships are carried out.
- August fair
- Andalusian and Mediterranean Cinema Exhibition Archidona
Outstanding gastronomy of Archidona
- La porra archidonesa
- Mollete archidonés
- Mostachones of the Minimal nuns