Archidona, an ancient city located in the center of Andalusia that surprises with its architecture and with its historical-artistic buildings.
Where is Archidona located
Archidona is located 54km from Malaga capital with a population of 8.238 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 185,5km square.
Origin of the name Archidona
One hypothesis alleges that Archidona’s name comes from the Latin expression <Arx Domina or Arcis Domina>, which means “lady of the heights”.
Demonym of the people of Archidona
The inhabitants are called “archidonés” or “archidonésa”.
Monuments and places of interest in Archidona
- Castle of Archidona: A fortification of Andalusian origin from the 9th century on top of the Sierra de Gracia. From the castle are preserved the Puerta del Sol, the Main Tower and the cistern. Remains of a mosque are preserved on the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace was built. The construction of the site has gone through the Carthaginians who built the walls, the remains that are preserved by the Arabs and the castle was rebuilt by the Nasrid in the 13th century.
- Hermitage of la Virgen de Gracia
- Hermitage of Santo Cristo: Hermitage built in the 18th century, inside it houses the image of Santo Cristo. Remodeled in 1997 along with its outdoor garden to create a rest area for the pilgrim. This point has become a mandatory stop on August the 15th during the pilgrimage to the Virgen de la Gracia, patron saint of Archidona.
- Ochavada Square: It is the main town square built in the Baroque style around the year 1786. It is one of the main monuments in Malaga that represents the baroque urbanism in Andalusia. The square is built in an octagonal shape, each facade of the square has a different decoration. The square became the center of the town, so much so that the town hall was installed. Archidona does not have a Bullring, therefore, taking advantage of the structure of the square, they transform the square into a bullring for bullfighting performances and bullfights.
- Convent of Santo Domingo
- Convent of las Mínimas:
- Church of Santa Ana
- Church of Victoria
- Church of Jesús Nazareno
- Hermitage of San Antonio
- Municipal Museum of Archidona
- Cave of las Grajas
- Monument of Blas Infante: Blas Infante, considered the Father of the Andalusian Nation, studied his baccalaureate in this village between 1896 and 1899 at the Pious Schools of Archidona.
- Escuela Pías
- Casa de Cilla o Pósito
- Capilla del Sagrado Corazón de María (Salinas): In the middle of the 20th century this “School-Chapel” was built with the mission of educating the child population in rural areas. The bell had a dual function that was to call the faithful or at the beginning of classes.
Where to eat and drink in Archidona
Arxiduna: The restaurant is located in the ochavada square. The interior is notable for being excavated natural caves that were previously a Mozarabic church in the 9th century. The restaurant’s food is of high quality, highlighting the presentation and creativity of the dishes. If you want to have original dishes in a natural-historical environment with good service, Arxiduna will not disappoint you.
- Semana Santa
- Festivities of San Isidro
- The dog fair
- August fair
- Andalusian and Mediterranean Cinema Exhibition Archidona
Outstanding gastronomy of Archidona
- La porra archidonesa
- Mollete archidonés
- Mostachones of the Minimal nuns