Algatocín located in the Genal Valley offers a great peace of nature with numerous rural accommodations, campsites and hiking routes.
Where is Algatocín located
Algatocín is located 135km from Malaga capital with a population of 793 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 20km square
Origin of the name Algatocín
It is believed that the town was founded by the Berber tribe called “Al Atusiyin“, which with the passing of centuries derived in Algatocín.
Denonym of the people of Algatocín
The inhabitants are called “algatocileño or algatocileña”.
Monuments and places of interest in Algatocín
- Hermitage of Calvario: The hermitage is located in the highest part of Algatocín which turns this place into a beautiful viewpoint from which you can observe part of the Serranía de Ronda, and from which you can see the rock of Gibraltar.
- Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario: According to documents, the temple was built in the 16th century, being one of the oldest churches in the Serranía de Ronda, with an important reform in the 17th century by the architect Pedro Díaz de Palacios. According to legend, it was built on what was the palace of Algatoisa, daughter of a Muslim king.
The main facade has a brick doorway. The tower is square with a bell tower that has a hemispherical blue ceramic roof. It consists of three semi-circular naves separated by columns. The central nave is covered by a barrel vault with large windows. In the background is the main chapel flanked by two smaller chapels. The aisles have a flat roof.
It should be noted that this church houses the images of the patrons of the town: San Francisco de Asís and Nuestra Señora del Rosario from the 18th century.
- Public Lavatory: The historic public laundry recently reappeared. The village elders related about an old laundry under a water tank at the back of the San Antonio Fountain. This laundry was covered to create a water reservoir in order to satisfy the demand for water for the population of the time, and a new larger laundry was created next to the road that leads to the hermitage of Santo Cristo. In 2018 they began to work to expose and rebuild the old municipal laundry built decades ago.
- Fuente de San Antonio: A stately-looking fountain located on Calle Fuente. As it is engraved in its upper part, it dates from the year 1676, this monument is one of the oldest buildings in the town. Formerly the Fountain of San Antonio is fed by the waters of two different springs. The first comes from the public laundry that this monument had right next to it. On the other hand, the water that came out from the jets of the fountain came from a source located next to the main road. In 1950 the Fountain of San Antonio underwent an important remodeling through which a deposit was built in its rear part, covering and burying the old laundry room that they have now rebuilt.
- Fuente de la Alameda: Fountain that was built in homage to the last stonemason of the town.