Valle de Abdalajís, a forgotten town in the Antequera region but that surprises any visitor with its tranquility and views over the valley.
Where is Valle de Abdalajís located?
Valle de Abdalajís is located 59km from Malaga capital with a population of 2.542 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 21km square
The origin of the name of Valle de Abdalajís
The name comes from the Arabic “Abd al-ʿAzīz” which refers to Abd al-Aziz ibn Musa who married Egilona, widow of the King Don Rodrigo and who lived in these lands. Abd al-Aziz ibn Musa ruled in Al-Andalus between the years 714-716.
Where to park in Valle de Abdalajís
The urban core of the town is mostly pedestrian and many narrow parking lots on steep slopes. We recommend parking on the outskirts of town and continue on foot.
Monuments and places of interest in Valle de Abdalajís
- Convent-Residence of San José de la Montaña: The convent and residence is built on the patrimonial House of Ana José Pérez Florido, known as Mother Petra. Founder of the Congregation of Mothers of the Helpless and Saint Joseph of the Mountain, beatified in Rome by John Paul II in 1994. The ancient house of Mother Petra and her rooms are still in a perfect state of preservation.
- Church of San Lorenzo Mártir: Its construction was completed in 1559 and it was part of the “Conde de los Corbos” palace that borders with the Church.
- Hermitage Stmo. Cristo de la Sierra: Located in the upper part of the town. There is a comfortable route by stairs to the hermitage that was built in 1954. The hermitage is located on the slopes of Cerro del Picacho that preserves the image of the crucified, a tin work from the 19th century. The inhabitants go up to the hermitage every year on pilgrimage to celebrate a pilgrimage.
- Mirador del Gangarro: It is a perfect viewpoint to see the whole town and the valley from above. Located next to the Ermita Stmo. Christ of the Sierra.
- Fuente de Arriba: Fountain with two large bronze pipes located in the Plaza de la Virgen de los Dolores. It is the oldest source in the town, there are already historical data from 1539 but with the name of Fuente del Nogal.
- Monument Mother Petra
- Old Laundry: Located on the outskirts of the municipality towards Antequera. Formerly this was an area where social life was happening. The laundry room consists of 8 flat stones.
- La Peana: It is a Roman pedestal from the year 104 AD, which according to the inscriptions held a sculpture or statue of the emperor Trajan. It indicates that it comes from Nescania, a municipality located near Valle de Abdalajís. The pedestal is located on the Plaza de San Lorenzo in front of the church.
- Valle de Abdalajís Flight Club: The area has come to be called the Capital of Free Flight since its climate is excellent for Hang Gliding and Paragliding.