Where is Antequera located?
Antequera is located 52km from Malaga capital with a population of 41.239 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 750km square.
Origin of the name Antequera
In Roman times it was called Anticaria, which later in Arabic was derived in Antaquira.
Monuments and places of interest in Antequera
- Fortress of Antequera
- Dolmens site Antequera
- Royal Collefiate Church of Santa María La Mayor: It is the first columnar church in Andalusia and one of the first in Spain. The construction of the temple was carried out between 1514 and 1550.
- Royal Collefiate Church of San Sebastián
- Convent of Madre de Dios de Monteagudo
- Convent of Encarnación
- Convent of Magdalena
- Convent of Trinidad
- Convent of San Agustín
- Royal Monastery of San Zoilo
- Church of San Pedro
- Church of Santa María de Jesús
- Church of San Juan Bautista
- Church of Carmen
- Church of Santiago
- Church of Nuestra Señora de Loreta
- Church of San Miguel
- Chapel of Virgen del Socorro also named Chapel of Portichuelo
- Capilla Tribuna de la Cruz Blanca
- Gate of Estepa: Next to the bullring you will find this civil structure that was destroyed in 1931 but rebuilt in 1998. For its construction they used red limestone bricks and stones that come from the El Torcal natural site in Antequera. The upper arch houses the image of the Virgen Del Rosario.
- Arco de los Gigantes